Pumpkin is a very healthy addition to your dogs diet and if your dog is on a vegetarian diet, this Pumpkin Dog Treats recipe will work perfectly!
Pumpkin is full of fiber, beta carotene and vitamins E and C.
When you make these cookies you can use different sizes and shapes of cookie cutters that fit your dogs breed and bite.
I use canned pureed pumpkin for this recipe because it's readily available and easy to use. And since it's Halloween, I like to use various cookie cutters for the occasion.
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (I use pure pumpkin puree, not the pie filling)
1/4 cup peanut butter(smooth or crunchy, I use all natural smooth, it has less sugar)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 Cup water (you may need more or less)
Additional flour for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350° F
2. Place all the ingredients in a bowl.
3. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
4. Add water as needed to blend the ingredients together.
5. Roll your dough out to 1/4" thickness and cut with your cookie cutters.
6. Place cookies on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 20 minutes for a softer cookie. For a really hard cookie, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes longer.
8. Leave in the oven to cool overnight. Or, cool completely on a wire rack.
Depending on what size cookie cutter you use will determine how many dog treats you will get out of the batch.
I bake them as a soft dog treat so I can give my puppies a quick taste.
And because I know I will be using them up fairly quickly, so I don't
have to worry about them going bad.
When baked soft, these dog treats will most likely last less than one week in a dog treat jar, about 3 weeks in the frig and a whopping 2 months in the freezer.
like to make these pumpkin dog treats early, freeze and then give out
as gifts or have them ready to give out to your four legged Halloween
goblins that come to your door.
Need A Unique Gift?
I have the perfect gift you can give!
Make a Calendar or Photo Book of their puppy dogs!
C'mon check it out...it's really easy and sooo very cool!
These are really beautiful!